Editor’s note: The Daily Californian will work to improve diversity

The Daily Californian stands in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and the Black community, and we condemn racism and discrimination in all its forms. 

Protests have erupted across the nation in response to George Floyd’s death, and we unequivocally support these protests and the broader movement against police brutality and systemic racism.

This statement is long overdue, and we apologize for our silence and inaction. Over nearly 150 years of publication, the Daily Cal has failed in many regards, but this discussion must center above all around how we can better include and amplify Black voices. As Berkeley’s paper of record, it is unacceptable that we do not fully represent the campus and community we serve. Black voices are indispensable in our mission to accurately and holistically cover the city of Berkeley’s news, and the quality of our work would be stronger with greater inclusion of Black student journalists.

Black writers deserve far greater presence in our editorial content. We invite and encourage our Black community members to submit letters to the editor discussing our content and history, as well as op-eds sharing their opinions on local, national and global affairs. 

Black community members, however, are not responsible for fixing the Daily Cal’s lack of Black voices. As we work to both recruit and retain Black editors, managers and staff, we will better utilize the diversity, equity and inclusion hiring manager position and reach out directly to Black students and groups on campus.

Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is dedicated to improving the work environment and content at the Daily Cal, specifically through mandatory staffwide workshops, and we welcome feedback on our diversity initiatives. Though we will look to campus groups for guidance on how we can do better, we recognize this work must be our own.

Sarah Harris is the editor in chief and president. Contact her at [email protected]