CA Gov. Gavin Newsom calls for ban on carotid hold, other police reforms

Joshua Jordan/File

Police and criminal justice reform will be coming to the state of California in response to the death of George Floyd and the ensuing protests, California Gov. Gavin Newsom pledged.

Newsom made the announcement in a press release Friday, promising a new statewide standard on protocols for policing peaceful protests and ending the use of the carotid hold, a restraint method that restricts blood flow to the brain. He also committed to working with the state Legislature and various legislative committees, in addition to national experts, community leaders and law enforcement, to develop the new protocols.

“We will not sit back passively as a state,” Newsom said in the press release. “We will continue to lead in a direction that does justice to the message heard all across this state and nation.”

The carotid hold will be removed from state police training programs and materials. Newsom will also work with the California Legislature to pass a statewide ban.

If passed, the ban would apply to all California police departments, according to the press release.

“I am proud that California has advanced a new conversation about broader criminal justice reform,” Newsom said in the press release. “We have an extraordinary amount of work left to do to manifest a cultural change and a deeper understanding of what it is that we’re working to advance.”

Kate Finman is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.