BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Alameda County opens 2nd food distribution site in Pleasanton

WIKIMEDIA | CREATIVE COMMONS

JUNE 08, 2020

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Alameda County opened a second food distribution site last Tuesday at the request of county Supervisor Scott Haggerty.

The food bank, located at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds, operates on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekly, though these hours of operation may be subject to change depending on demand, according to a press release from the Alameda County Social Services Agency.

The site is a replica of the earlier Zhone Way food distribution site in Oakland. The purpose of the site is to provide additional relief to those who have been hit hard by the pandemic, according to the press release.

The press release also notes that the site served approximately 330 households boxes of food during its first day of operation.

“We expect the number of people served to steadily increase as awareness of the site does,” said Sylvia Soublet, public affairs director for the Alameda County Social Services Agency, in an email.

Like its Oakland counterpart, the Pleasanton food distribution site is open to any Alameda County resident in need of food and is drive-thru only, prohibiting “walk-ups.” The site also requires all customers to wear masks.

According to the press release, the site will offer prepackaged boxes of produce, meat and cheese provided by the California Association of Food Banks, and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

“County officials, along with the Social Services Agency, recognize that convenient access to emergency food is critically important to keep people healthy and safe,” Soublet said in the email.

The site is managed by a collaboration among various Alameda County organizations — the Department of Child Support Services, the Emergency Operations Center, the Social Services Agency, the Community Food Bank and the Disaster Service Workers — and, if necessary, the National Guard.

Contact Blake Evans at 

JUNE 09, 2020