UC Berkeley student killed, police ask public for help finding suspects involved

Google Maps/Courtesy

Update 6/18/2020: This article was updated to include additional information from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Byron White.

Seth Smith, a 19-year-old UC Berkeley student, was fatally wounded by gunfire Monday night, and police are looking for the suspect or suspects who committed the crime.

According to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White, emergency personnel responded to a report of an unresponsive man lying on the ground bleeding on Dwight Way by Valley Street around 11:30 p.m. Monday. When the personnel arrived, they discovered that Smith had been fatally wounded by gunfire.

The city of Berkeley is offering a $50,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of all responsible suspects in Smith’s murder.

“There may be individuals who have information about this crime and we are asking for the public’s help,” White said in an email. “Even the smallest detail could be critical in solving this crime.”

People with any information about the incident are encouraged to contact BPD’s homicide unit.

Check back for updates.

Kate Finman is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.