BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Man arrested after being found unconscious in car with loaded handgun

GOOGLE | COURTESY

JUNE 25, 2020

Officers responded to a report of a “suspicious vehicle” Wednesday and found a man passed out with a handgun on his lap, according to the Berkeley Police Department.

The vehicle was stopped on University Avenue west of Interstate 80 on Wednesday around 5:38 a.m. on the wrong side of the road with the engine running and the car intermittently moving forward, as if it was in drive.

According to an email from BPD, officers knocked on the side of the vehicle to wake the person passed out in the driver’s seat, but the person inside the vehicle did not respond.

The officers then opened the driver’s door and confiscated a loaded handgun found in the driver’s lap. The car was eventually turned off and the driver was then arrested.

According to the email from BPD, the officers also allegedly found methamphetamine and several glass methamphetamine pipes.

The driver, who is a 38-year-old Oakland resident, was charged on suspicion of carrying a loaded firearm, being a felon with a firearm, possessing controlled substances and other weapon and drug-related offenses.

Check back for updates.

Contact Kate Finman at  or on Twitter

JUNE 25, 2020