UC Berkeley administration emphasizes UC guidance on political activities

Wheeler Hall
Michael Drummond/File

Campus administration reminded the UC Berkeley community of UC guidance on political and legislative activities in a campuswide email Wednesday.

UC policy does not allow the use of university resources, staffing or funding for activities that may be viewed as partisan or political in nature, according the email. These include university telephones or emails, facilities, letterheads, classrooms and university-linked social media or websites.

The email adds that faculty and staff are encouraged to only engage in political activity during nonworking hours.

University institutes, centers, colleges and departments cannot sponsor political events, though student organizations may, provided they do not use university resources and the event complies with the university’s major events policy. Improper use of university resources may result in disciplinary actions, according to the email.

Unless authorized by the UC Office of the President, university employees may not act on behalf of the UC system or use a university letterhead when communicating with state or federal officials. Employees must also state that they are speaking for themselves, not for the university.

Check back for updates.

Maria Young is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @maria_myoung.