BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 09, 2023

Join the Daily Californian!

Protean protein: 3 ways to make use of a whole roasted chicken 

WIKIMEDIA | CREATIVE COMMONS

JUNE 29, 2020

Chicken is a staple of my diet, but it wasn’t until recently that I learned how versatile it really is. Next time you go to the store, stop in the poultry department and pick up a whole chicken. That chicken will typically cost you no more than $10 — here are three different things you can make with one whole chicken. 

Oven-roasted chicken: Add to sandwiches, salads, rice and more

Ingredients

• 1 chicken
  • 2-3 tablespoons pepper
  • 2-3 tablespoons salt 
  • 2-3 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 onion
  • 3-4 celery stalks
  • 3-4 carrots 
  • 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
  • 1 stick of butter
  • A handful of fresh thyme 
  • A handful of fresh sage
  • A handful of fresh rosemary 

Directions

1. Wash the entire chicken with cold water. 
  2. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  3. Place the chicken in a large roasting pan and season it with pepper, salt and paprika. 
  4. Slice the onion, then place your celery, carrots, garlic and onion inside and on top of your chicken.
  5. Next, cut the butter into eight pieces and place all over the chicken (don’t forget inside and under the skin).
  6. Chop your thyme, sage and rosemary, then sprinkle all over the chicken (inside and under the skin).
  7. Put your chicken in the oven for 1.5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. 
  8. Remove your chicken from the oven, then carve and serve!

Chicken broth from chicken bones: Use as a base for ramen, soups or sauces

Ingredients

• Bones from your roasted chicken
  • Leftover roasted veggies or any aromatic veggies in your fridge (onions, celery or carrots)
  • Water

Directions

1. Place the bones and veggies in a large pot. 
  2. Fill the pot with water.
  3. Let simmer for 3-4 hours. 
  4. Remove from heat. Once cool, remove bones and veggies, and strain thoroughly. 
  5. Transfer the broth to a large container (an old coffee container works great!) and leave overnight. 
  6. Skim the fat off the top with a spoon. Your broth is complete! 

Gravy from roasted chicken drippings: Pour over gravy, meats and rice

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup drippings from your roasted chicken
  • 2 cups chicken broth 

Directions

1. Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour. 
  2. Add the chicken drippings and chicken broth to your pan, and continue whisking until they’re cooked well.
  3. Keep whisking until you have a thick, creamy sauce. Your gravy is complete!

Next time you go grocery shopping, look for a whole chicken. From dinner entrees to soup to gravy, chicken can do it all! And, if you have leftover meat from the roast, try to make something new! Chicken salad sandwiches and barbecue pulled chicken are two creative recipes to make with your leftover meat. Making chicken for dinner sounded boring to me when I was a kid, but with these three recipes, dinner now never looks boring!

Contact Sera Smith at [email protected].

JUNE 29, 2020