Best places to walk around Berkeley

Berkeley rose garden
Ana Isabel Dias/File

One important thing to remember these days is that self-isolating does not have to mean spending all your time indoors. It’s healthy — both physically and mentally — to get outside and take a walk at least once a day. In case you’re not familiar with all of the walks Berkeley has to offer, here is a list to inspire your next excursion.

Berkeley Rose Garden

Just walking around Northside with no destination in particular is beautiful enough, but the Rose Garden is a special spot. The garden, which is free to enter, consists of an amphitheater covered in gorgeously cultivated roses. Wandering along the rows and smelling the flowers is guaranteed to make your day a little bit brighter.

Elmwood

Walk south down College Avenue and eventually you’ll hit this charming small shopping district. The independent boutiques may not all be open now, but there is enough life to keep the sidewalks buzzing. Venture down one of the quieter surrounding residential streets for a pleasant stroll, or grab some takeout from the Italian Homemade Company.

Clark Kerr Fire Trails

With the Recreational Sports Facility closed, you might find yourself needing a little bit more exercise than just a regular walk. Thankfully, a hike is just a walk on steroids. Behind the Clark Kerr Campus, you’ll find access to the fire trails, which will lead you to some of the best views of the Bay Area. Depending on which path you take, you can tailor your hike to your desired pace and level of exercise.

Solano Avenue

If you live on Northside, Solano Avenue may be walking distance from you. Enjoy the trek through the nature of North Berkeley before you get to this shopping street. Solano Avenue stretches for 2 miles, which makes it great for window shopping, so even if you don’t enter any stores or restaurants, you will feel like you have properly gotten out into the real world.

Berkeley Marina

Depending on where you live, this may be a stretch, but this could make a great day trip. Just walking to the marina will help you get your exercise in, and once you’re there you can enjoy the nature of the bay. This is a great spot to have a picnic or throw stones into the water and feel existential. 

And finally, let’s not forget that we have a beautiful campus! Grab your mask and take a stroll along Strawberry Creek. The buildings may be closed, but you might even discover a part of campus you’ve never seen before. Happy walking!

Contact Fleurette Modica at [email protected].