Contrary to popular belief, not all salads must be cold! The other day, I woke up craving a massive bowl of vegetables. However, I find it a bit difficult to stomach cold salads sometimes, especially in the morning. So I set about putting together a warm cucumber and bell pepper salad, complete with feta cheese, olive oil and fresh tomatoes. As odd as a warm cucumber salad sounds, cucumbers and bell peppers are sturdy vegetables, able to withstand light cooking without losing their oh-so-satisfying crunch. Plus, topped with grilled tomatoes, feta cheese and olive oil, this salad is vibrant and healthy, and can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Wash and prep the vegetables. Cut the cucumbers and bell peppers into small chunks, and slice the tomatoes into halves.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt a bit of butter.
- Place the cucumbers and bell peppers in the pan, add salt to season and saute briefly. Cook them for 45 to 60 seconds — just enough to heat them up a bit, but not too much, so the veggies don’t lose their crunch.
- Pour the sauteed cucumbers and bell peppers into a large bowl. Add feta cheese, pour a generous amount of olive oil and mix together.
- Pour a bit of olive oil into the still-heated pan and carefully place the halved tomatoes in the pan cut side up. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Finally, top your salad with the tomatoes and serve!
Slightly cooking the salad can make it a bit easier for your stomach to digest all these delightful veggies. However, if you prefer the cold version, skip the cooking and simply mix all the raw ingredients together. Adjust the quantity of each salad component to your liking, and add any of your favorite toppings to create the ultimate veggie bowl. Colorful, crunchy and (occasionally) cool as a cucumber, this salad hits all the marks.
Contact Kristie Lin at [email protected].