BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Petition demanding justice for Seth Smith receives more than 2,900 signatures

PHIL SMITH | COURTESY

As of press time, more than 2,900 have signed an online petition demanding justice for the murder of UC Berkeley student Seth Smith.

|

Executive News Editor

JULY 21, 2020

A petition demanding justice for UC Berkeley junior Seth Smith, who was fatally wounded by gunfire June 15, has received 2,930 signatures as of press time

Smith, a double major in history and economics, was found unresponsive on the ground, bleeding on Dwight Way by Valley Street around 11:30 p.m. June 15. The city of Berkeley is currently offering a $50,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of all responsible suspects in his murder.

There were no witnesses or recordings from nearby houses’ video cameras that showed the crime.

According to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White, the department has no new updates on the case. White added that the department is encouraged by the many who have expressed their commitment to help spread the word about Smith’s murder through the online petition.

“Since Seth Smith’s murder, our detectives have exhaustively investigated the case and have served multiple search warrants in search of additional evidence for this case,” White said in an email.

According to White, detectives are in communication with Smith’s family on a regular basis and encourage anyone with information to contact the department’s Homicide Unit.

Christine Dull, a parent of a UC Berkeley sophomore, said she wishes that the administration would make more changes to campus safety. A signer of the petition, Dull also said safety has been a concern for her since her son was first accepted into the university.

“Seth is every one of us. Seth is your student. Seth is my son, your son’s friend,” Dull said. “To have no answers and to have no action is just heartbreaking, not only for the family but for all of us.”

Contact Sabrina Dong at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sabrina_dong_.

JULY 21, 2020