BERKELEY'S NEWS • MAY 25, 2023

Apply to The Daily Californian!

CA Gov. Gavin Newsom announces additional support for workers during COVID-19

GAGE SKIDMORE | CREATIVE COMMONS

With the number of COVID-19 cases in California continuing to rise, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced multiple safeguards and resources for higher-risk workers, such as agricultural workers. (Photo by Gage Skidmore under CC BY-SA 2.0)

|

Senior Staff

JULY 25, 2020

CA Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday a number of safeguards for workers at elevated risk of COVID-19, including the provision of isolation spaces for those exposed.

The safeguards, which will be for high-risk workers such as agricultural workers, include the state allocation of federal funds to local public health departments and community organizations to help individuals find services for isolation and quarantine, according to a press release.

Housing for the Harvest, a new program that provides isolation spaces for agricultural workers and farmworkers who have been exposed to or have contracted COVID-19, will operate in partnership with regions with the highest number of agricultural workers.

Other resources the state will offer include public awareness campaigns about the disease’s spread and a playbook for employers to maintain safe environments in their businesses. Newsom is also working to expand protections such as paid sick leave.

In addition, Newsom is working with the California Legislature to require employers to report outbreaks of the disease to their local health departments, according to the release.

Check back for more updates. 

Sebastian Cahill is a deputy news editor. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @SebastianCahil1.

JULY 25, 2020