Staying connected: The sisterhood of the traveling camera

film camera
Flickr/Creative Commons

Lately, I’ve really been missing the days when I could get together with a large group of friends and go to the beach or do karaoke. During quarantine, I feel like it’s been easier to stay in contact with individual friends by FaceTiming or taking socially distanced walks. But it’s harder to plan large Zoom hangouts, and in-person kickbacks aren’t really an option. For anyone else looking for a way to keep their friend group connected, here’s a fun activity to try.

If you’re not familiar with Ann Brashares’ teen saga “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,” the plot revolves around four teenage girls who start a timeshare with a pair of jeans that magically fit all of their radically different body shapes. But instead of sharing a pair of pants this summer, what if a group of friends shared a camera?

Here’s the concept: First, your friend group needs to invest in a disposable camera. You can find them pretty easily or order one online, and they’re pretty cheap, especially if multiple people pitch in. Then, decide on the number of pictures each person will get to take, depending on how many people are in your friend group. You can choose a theme for the photos if you want, or let everyone do their own thing. Whoever starts off with the camera gets to keep it for a few days and take a few photos. When they’re done, they mail the camera to another friend, who keeps it for a few days, takes their photos and then sends it on to the next person, and so on. 

Once everybody has taken their photos, the last person can take the film to get it developed. When they get the physical photographs, your group can do a Zoom photo reveal to see everyone’s pictures all together! 

This is a great activity for friend groups who are separated, and you can customize the activity to fit your desires. Maybe you’re all #artsy, so you decide to take quirky pictures of your shoes or your shadows. Maybe you take pictures of nature. Maybe you agree to each keep the camera for a longer period of time, such as two weeks or a month. Whatever you decide, I hope this activity helps spark some fun for you and your friends!

Contact Fleurette Modica at [email protected].