Fast times at Madison Square Garden: ‘30 for 30’ volume 1, episode 8 recap

30 for 30 Reggie Miller
George Kalinsky/ESPN Films/Courtesy

I’m happy to announce that my getaway earlier this week to Oregon was full of relaxation — and a piece of news that would almost certainly get me a job at TMZ.

Before I reveal my exciting news, I want to preface it by saying that I had to get away from California. The hustle and bustle of the Golden State was just too overwhelming, even despite the fact that almost everything is shut down from COVID-19. 

So I hopped on a 747 and went north of the California border to the ol’ City of Roses: Portland, Oregon. There, I found mental repose, a state of serenity and an unreal tipoff from some great anonymous sources on Lake Oswego. 

My sources revealed to me that just five minutes down the road from where I was staying, famous (Canadian) soloist and songbird Drake was renting out a mega-mansion before the shooting of a Nike commercial in Beaverton.

Do I have proof? Did I see him in person? Does this even matter? 

I refuse to answer these questions. But I will say that I saw his gigantic, super necessary private airliner parked at the airport. I also knew the owner of said rented mansion and have documentation to prove it. That’s all that matters. 

Drizzy and I have some sort of connection, and I’d be an absolute simpleton not to add this to my weekly ramble.

Anyway, I’m back home, I’ve hit the reset button and I’m here to give the citizens of Berkeley and specifically Toronto what they want. Episode eight for the inhabitants of “the Six.”

Drake, if you’re reading this, it’s not too late. Email me. 

Let’s get after it.

Volume 1, Episode 8: “Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the New York Knicks”

Reggie Miller is exactly what you’d want in your shooting guard.

He’s great on both sides. When it matters most, he’ll make the big plays and be sure to play confidently in those important moments.

However, this episode exposed Miller and the Indiana Pacers as an opponent you’d want to face in 1994 and 1995 (in comparison to other squads).

The Pacers didn’t win a title in either of those two years because they didn’t have enough gas in their tank for a long playoff run.

Episode eight highlights the Indiana Pacers’ rivalry with the New York Knicks in the playoffs in both ’94 and ’95, while sputtering off some side stories that involve Cheryl Miller and Spike Lee.

In 1994, we see a hungry Miller come to life as he trash-talks director Lee and proceeds to drop 39 on New York’s apple in a Game 5 steal at Madison Square Garden.

Miller flashed some pretty obscene gestures that were definitely R-rated, but it was Lee and the Knicks who would end up advancing later on in Game 7 at the stroke of Miller missing a free throw that would’ve put his team ahead late in the fourth. Ashamed, Miller was determined to beat these city dwellers next time.

Fast forward a year later to 1995, and not much had changed. I will say it’s important to note that Indiana added Mark Jackson from the Clippers, but the Knicks still took the Pacers to seven games, so he didn’t make a huge impact.

The biggest eyebrow-raiser of the rivalry was almost certainly Game 1, when Miller scored 8 points in less than 20 seconds to pull off an “Ocean’s Eleven”-like heist in front of the roaring crowd of New Yorkers.

The second shocker was the “Ocean’s Twelve”-like con that Patrick Ewing performed in Game 7 with the game on the line. He fooled me into thinking a seemingly wide-open 3-footer was physically impossible to miss for a 7-foot center.

New York was devastated. Indiana rejoiced because it finally made it past the Knicks, then lost in seven games to the Orlando Magic. Unfortunately, the documentary ends there.

When the episode ended and the screen went dark, I was at a loss for words. That’s it? That’s all? Reggie what? If ESPN is going to call it “Reggie Miller vs. the New York Knicks,” I’m going to expect a career-long rivalry.

This team should have kept him up at night for years, not two playoff runs. I’m a fan of Miller, but I don’t know if what I watched deserves its own documentary.

Pat Riley was “finished” as a coach apparently, and people believed that this was the last year the Knicks would play as well as they did.

Even if both of those claims were false, Michael Jordan was likely betting on that game and, even more likely, took it personally when the Knicks lost.

My concluding thoughts are that after watching “The Last Dance” docuseries on Jordan, this “30 for 30” episode was a step back.