Impress your friends and family with this simple shakshuka recipe

Shakshuka
Elysa Dombro/Staff

If you’ve never heard of shakshuka, get ready to have your mind blown with this easy, healthy, inexpensive and delicious dish! Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern dish of eggs poached in a spicy tomato and onion mixture. It’s often used as a breakfast or lunch food, but it can be a great meal at any time of the day. It’s great for big groups, but you can also make a single-serving meal. Ready to impress your parents by making a dish that looks way fancier than it is? This recipe is super customizable, and you can adapt it to your own preferences. Read on to learn how to make your very own shakshuka!

Ingredients

• ½ onion
  • 3-4 tomatoes (fresh or canned)
  • Tomato paste (optional)
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 3-5 eggs
  • Spices to taste: cumin, smoked paprika, garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt
  • Garnish: parsley, cilantro, feta cheese

Directions

1. Cut up the onions into small pieces and put them in a hot pan with a little olive oil. If you’re using fresh garlic, you can add it to the pan now as well.
  2. Cut up the fresh or canned tomatoes. Once the onions in the pan have softened and are almost translucent, add the tomato paste (if you’re using it) and the chopped tomatoes.
  3. After the tomatoes have cooked for a few minutes, add the small can of tomato sauce.
  4. Add all of the spices, emphasizing the flavors you like the most.
  5. Let the mixture cook and simmer for 5-10 minutes. 
  6. With a spoon, make wells, or dips, in the tomato sauce mixture. Crack an egg directly into each well, and then spoon a little of the hot tomato mixture onto the eggs.
  7. Cover the pan for 5 minutes until the egg whites are mostly opaque and the egg yolks have set but have a slight jiggle to them when you move the pan. Traditional shakshuka uses runny yolks, but if you like hard yolks, just cook them a little longer.
  8. Turn off the heat, garnish with parsley or feta (or anything that looks good) and serve!

A delicious, one-pan meal doesn’t have to be difficult. Shakshuka is easy, and with this simple recipe, you can spice up your weekend brunch and impress your housemates and family. Get fancy with your spices, and find a mixture that you like. Try adding chili powder or lemon to yours, or you can add some other fun toppings. Enjoy!

Contact Elysa Dombro at [email protected].