BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 25, 2022

No bake, no hassle: 4-ingredient chocolate chip cookie dough

FLEURETTE MODICA | STAFF

AUGUST 17, 2020

Sometimes you want cookies, but you don’t want to go through the hassle of baking. This is the beauty of a cookie dough recipe. But there are cookie do’s and cookie doughn’ts. You can’t just make a batch of cookie dough and eat it raw because of salmonella. Luckily, this recipe is a perfectly safe option that tastes just as good.

The core of this recipe is the chickpeas. I know, I know, beans in a dessert? But I promise, if you didn’t know they were an ingredient, you’d never guess they were there.

This recipe is so satisfying. I’ve made it at least five times since I first discovered it. Plus, the chickpeas and peanut butter pack a ton of protein, so you’re left feeling satisfied instead of having a sugar overload. It’s also gluten free, and can be made vegan if you use vegan chocolate chips! The best part? You can make it in under 10 minutes.

Ingredients

• 1 can chickpeas
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1⁄3 cup chocolate chips

Directions

1. Drain the chickpeas.
  2. Remove the outer skins of the chickpeas. The skins slip off easily if you gently squeeze the chickpeas. This process will make the cookie dough smoother.
  3. Add the skinned chickpeas to a medium-sized bowl.
  4. Add the peanut butter. Creamy peanut butter works better for getting the right consistency.
  5. Using a fork, mash together the chickpeas and peanut butter until a doughy paste forms.
  6. Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup and stir with a fork until combined. Taste the mixture and add more as desired.
  7. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix to combine. If desired, add vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste.

And there you have it! The final product should look and taste like chocolate chip cookie dough. Eat it by itself, or enjoy with apple slices! Easy as pie — or should we say cookie dough?

Contact Fleurette Modica at 

AUGUST 17, 2020