BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 29, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Cal lands Kentucky graduate transfer Drew Schlegel

LIANNE FRICK | FILE

AUGUST 21, 2020

Despite a hectic last couple of months in the college football landscape, the Cal football team has been able to tread above water and fortify its roster for the 2021 season and beyond. Late Friday, head coach Justin Wilcox announced that former Kentucky fullback Drew Schlegel signed a financial aid agreement to join the program.

“Drew will have the opportunity to help us both on offense and special teams, and he will be a great fit at Cal academically and socially,” Wilcox said in a press release. “He will also embrace the role of being a good teammate. We’re happy to have him on board.”

Schlegel, who graduated from Kentucky in May, will immediately be available to play in his final year of collegiate eligibility. Arriving on scholarship, Schlegel will slot into offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave’s offense beside Zach Angelillo, who is the other fullback listed on the roster.

Schlegel spent most of his reps as a specialist at Kentucky, while also appearing sporadically on offense and defense over the past two seasons. He is the second graduate transfer to join the Bears in 2020 after the arrival of running back Bradrick Shaw from Wisconsin.

Contact Spencer Golanka at [email protected]@dailycal.org.

AUGUST 21, 2020