Tunesday: Iconic songs by ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ queens

Illustration for Tunesday playlist, with a phone, vinyl record, and earbuds
Alexander Hong/Senior Staff

Ever since “RuPaul’s Drag Race” first aired in 2009, we have met dozens of queens with unbelievable talents. They have charmed the world with their personalities, charisma and beauty. From Bianca Del Rio’s comedic films to Kim Chi’s successful makeup brand, “RuPaul’s Drag Race” contestants do it all — and music is no exception. Here are six songs you cannot miss from the show’s queens.

“There for You,” Monét X Change

After captivating fans with her charming personality in season nine and rightfully winning “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” season four, Monét X Change released her debut EP Unapologetically in 2019. The entire EP is a cohesive piece of art, but the most iconic track is “There for You”: The song has a fast-paced beat accompanied by Monet’s highly trained vocals, resembling the sounds of an ’80s club where you do not want to stop dancing.

“Banjo,” Bebe Zahara Benet

“Banjo” by Bebe Zahara Benet is one of the most unique and well-made songs from a “RuPaul’s Drag Race” queen. As the title suggests, the song heavily features banjo, a West African instrument that creates lively melodies. Alongside the energetic beat, Bebe’s voice perfectly sings feel-good lyrics about self-worth in romantic relationships. Released April 2 alongside a video full of fashion and colorful visuals, “Banjo” reflects Bebe’s Cameroonian heritage. 

“Pose,” Naomi Smalls

Released back in 2018, “Pose” is one of only a few singles by Naomi Smalls, but it is an outstanding track. With inspiration from the ’80s, the aesthetics of the song and accompanying music video are a clear reflection of Naomi’s essence. The lyrics are simple and catchy, as Naomi talks about fashion, posing and strutting the runway. It exudes confidence, but still maintains quirky humor in its video. All in all, this is definitely a song for those times when you need to feel fierce or simply take selfies.

“Cocky,” Shea Couleé feat. The Vixen and Lila Star

Arguably the most impressive collaboration from a “RuPaul’s Drag Race” queen is “Cocky” by Shea Couleé, which also features recording artist Lila Star and season 11 contestant The Vixen. The trio’s verses perfectly match one another as it proudly acknowledges its rightful cockiness. The track is filled with remarkable verses, such as “Call me Lila Gaga/ And you my little monster/ She bring it to you, every ball.” Demonstrating excellence from the lyrics to the aesthetically pleasing black-and-white video, “Cocky” is an anthem for an ego boost.

“The T,” Alaska Thunderfuck

During her victorious run in “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” season two, many critiques and rumors surrounded Alaska Thunderfuck, but she iconically addresses them all in her song “The T.” In the track, Alaska references everything from the split of her music group The AAA Girls to her breakup with Sharon Needles. “The T” demonstrates Alaska’s exquisite attention to detail in music making; even Adore Delano’s very short feature is a reference to the queen’s equally short appearance in the show. 

“Yet Another Dig,” Bob The Drag Queen feat. Alaska Thunderfuck

Released in 2017, Bob The Drag Queen graced us with her amazing writing skills as she raps “Frying up some bacon, bitch, yet another pig/ I’m a Redwood and you’re yet another twig/ All Stars 2 was yet another rig.” The song is full of witty lyrics such as these, accompanied by a comedic music video. Alaska also makes an appearance in the track, taking a dig at the controversial season nine finale in which Shea lost despite having the most challenge wins. “Yet Another Dig” is a fun song with a lot of references to “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” which die-hard fans will surely enjoy.

Contact Brany Barragan at [email protected].