National Happy Cat Month: An open love letter to cats

Sleeping Cat
Sam Albillo/File

To my fluffy angels:

I used to hate cats. I’ll admit that there was no reasoning for it. You know how it goes — it’s always been cats vs. dogs, and because my family had a dog, I had to stay loyal to my baby.

Fortunately, something changed in me. The prejudice against you adorable furry babies left my heart when I met my first cat in middle school. I slept over at my friend’s house, and she introduced me to her cat, who immediately started snuggling with me. I melted like a candle and felt guilty for wasting 12 long years hating y’all for no reason.

It was only three years later when I encountered my next cat. I don’t believe in love at first sight, but I allow this meeting to be the exception.

“You know, she hates strangers and doesn’t snuggle, even with us,” her owner warned.

Yeah, right, I thought. In my heart, I knew I could win her over. I know how you cats are. You love to act tough and unbothered, but secretly, deep down — but not that deep down — you crave cuddles and affection from your family.

Guess what? I ended up winning her over. I know every one of you is different, but collectively, your kryptonite is getting scratches on the front of your neck or behind your ear. I know to avoid scratching the belly unless you invite me to by rolling over on the floor.

These aren’t the only ways to keep y’all happy, though. I understand that you can simultaneously be the life of the party and introverted. So, I know that it’s also good to allow you to be anti-social, to leave you when you hiss after I get too close when you’re not in a good mood and to let you vibe alone with catnip.

I hope I can be more than a supplier of needs to you. You know — someone to give you food, water and safe places to sleep and to relieve yourself. Someone who buys you toys and a cat tower, only for you to ignore them because you’re more interested in the boxes they came in. I don’t mean to throw shade, but anything to keep you happy is what must be done.

I hope that one day, I can be worthy enough to adopt one of you into my family.

Love,

Your not-so-secret admirer

Contact Özge Terzioğlu at [email protected].