BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Police respond to concerns of illegal fireworks, bonfires in Grizzly Peak corridor

GOOGLE | COURTESY

The area along Grizzly Peak Boulevard where concerns have been raised falls within the jurisdictions of UCPD, the Oakland Police Department and the East Bay Regional Park District Police Department, so residents will likely see an increased law enforcement presence.

SEPTEMBER 15, 2020

UCPD has increased patrols in response to concerns over the past few days about illegal ignition of fireworks and bonfires along Grizzly Peak Boulevard between Centennial Drive and Claremont Avenue, according to a Nixle alert from the Berkeley Police Department.

More than 2 million acres have been set aflame across California in 2020, causing respiratory issues and property damage. To deter behaviors that could increase the risk of additional fires, UCPD has increased its uniformed patrols of the Grizzly Peak corridor, the alert states.

The area along Grizzly Peak Boulevard where concerns have been raised falls within the jurisdictions of UCPD, the Oakland Police Department and the East Bay Regional Park District Police Department, so residents will likely see an increased law enforcement presence, according to the alert.

Community members are encouraged to report anyone igniting fireworks or setting fires to their local police department immediately, the alert states.

Check back for updates.

Contact Alexandra Feldman at 

SEPTEMBER 15, 2020