Suspect charged after allegedly attempting to set people on fire at Feng Cha Teahouse

Brandon McGlone

The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged 46-year-old Brandon McGlone on Wednesday after he allegedly tried to set several people on fire outside of Feng Cha Teahouse on Monday night, according to a Berkeley Police Department press release.

McGlone’s charges include arson, criminal threats, throwing a flammable substance on another, assault with a deadly weapon and possession of destructive devices, among others, the press release stated.

Before police arrived at the scene, McGlone allegedly sprayed two men outside of Artichoke Basille’s Pizza with WD-40 after knocking their food off of the table and announcing an intention to light them on fire, according to the press release.

McGlone proceeded toward Feng Cha Teahouse, where he allegedly sprayed and ignited the hair of two individuals, the press release stated. Bystanders extinguished the fire and tried to subdue McGlone, and he allegedly showed he was armed with a hatchet.

BPD officers soon arrived at the scene and searched McGlone. The press release stated that they found other weapons including a machete, knives, matches, lighters and Molotov cocktails on his person.

Check back for updates.

Catherine Hsu is a crime and courts reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @catherinehsuDC.