Editors’ Note: September 18

weekender logo
Hannah Cooper/Senior Staff

As the semester has started in earnest, this week we considered proximity in this new era. We examined what we have grown closer to and farther from, with all of us taking our classes from around the world, standing at a distance from family, friends and strangers alike. We have also examined what we have gravitated toward: our screens, our hobbies, our passions and our fears. 

In proper Weekender fashion, we got personal. Staff writer Ashley Soliman looked to her gardening in a personal essay about how the pandemic has brought her closer to her plants. Likewise, Erin Harr looked back on how she has grown closer to her hunger cues through her time back home, and Pamela Hasbun reflected on how her time in quarantine has allowed her to get closer to the person who matters the most: herself.

Other staff writers wondered about proximity in form. Daniel Orona looked to the open field of the page to explore proximity and distance through the spacing and orientation of his words in a poem. Sean Tseng considered the in-between spaces in her poem, and how in these times, it often feels as though we are simply between catastrophes.

Finally, Saya Abney found an uncanny closeness between personal events and national news as they explored the trend of people distancing themselves from their own whiteness and the phenomenon of race shifting in a stunning cultural commentary.

So gather close, dear reader, and let us share our stories with you.

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.