Fast, easy breakfast: A 5-minute, 3-ingredient chia seed pudding recipe

Daniela Eftimova/Creative Commons

Over the summer, my mom and I took up the enormous task of reorganizing our kitchen and pantry. During this process, we found so many miscellaneous items we didn’t even know we had, one of them being chia seeds. My dad, notorious for shopping from the “health foods” aisle and then forgetting all about it, had apparently bought the chia seeds a couple of months ago. Having never tried chia seeds before and seeing a lot of recipes online, I was excited to finally make chia seed pudding.

Chia seed pudding is rich in protein and fiber, nutritious and best of all, tastes amazing, unlike other so-called “healthy” foods. Moreover, it is an effortless option for breakfast or a snack, a savior for us college students. It takes less than five minutes to prepare it the night before, and your only job in the morning is to gobble it up before class.

With just three ingredients to form the base, let’s get right into it!

Ingredients

• 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • Toppings of your choice

Directions

1. Combine the chia seeds, milk and honey in a glass or jar of your choice and mix continuously for 1-2 minutes. Once the ingredients are incorporated well, your base is ready!
  2. Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight.
  3. When you’re ready to eat, add some nuts, fruits or anything of your choice to take it to the next level.

My favorite add-ins include matcha powder, cinnamon and cardamom to give that lovely aromatic chai flavor and instant coffee mix for a rich coffee flavor. You can also add a tablespoon of cocoa powder instead to satisfy your sweet tooth. Other toppings that work well with the pudding are bananas, berries and nuts such as pistachios and roasted almonds for a crunch. The best thing about chia seed pudding is that you can customize it however you like and try different flavor combinations, so you never get bored of it.

So there you have it! The secret to making five-minute breakfasts is out — now, don’t come running to us if the store shelves run out of chia seeds.

Contact Nandita Radhakrishnan at [email protected].