Cal football’s 2021 recruiting class creeps into top 20 with latest commit

Joshua Jordan/File

Add another to the list — the Bears have continued bolstering their 2021 recruiting class, this time by reeling in touted defensive end and linebacker Kaleb Elarms-Orr. The commitment brings Cal’s 2021 class up to 20th in the nation, which is the highest-ranking class the program has had in a decade — it had the country’s 15th best in 2011. Cal head coach Justin Wilcox has steadily increased the Bears’ national recruiting presence since taking over, and this class is shaping up to be the best of his tenure by a mile.

Elarms-Orr, a four-star recruit according to 247Sports and ESPN, is projected to play outside linebacker in Cal’s 3-4 defensive scheme, though the coaching staff believes he has the versatility to also play some defensive end and inside linebacker. With a 4.70 40-yard dash, he should see most of his contributions as a speed rusher off the edge, while also dropping back into coverage on occasion.

Coming out of Moreau Catholic in Hayward, California, Elarms-Orr was drawn to Cal for reasons other than just being a Bay Area product. His mother received her master’s degree from UC Berkeley, and Elarms-Orr himself values his academics highly, citing his goal to major in business administration at the Haas School of Business in an interview with 247Sports.

With several of Cal’s linebackers set to graduate before he arrives on campus, Elarms-Orr could find himself in the running for playing time early in his career. Until then, though, the Bears’ coaches and recruiting staff will continue shaping what could be a program-altering 2021 class.

Shailin Singh covers football. Contact him at [email protected].