Former NFL star, Cal alum C.J. Anderson joins Cal football coaching staff

Photo of Anderson #22
Arnie Papp/Creative Commons

In a move that brings him back to his roots, former Cal and NFL running back C.J. Anderson has announced that he will be joining the Cal football staff as a volunteer offensive coach for the upcoming season.

As a junior college transfer, Anderson spent his final two college years racking up 1,135 combined rushing yards for Cal on 5.7 yards per carry. He then went on to go undrafted before becoming one of the NFL’s top hidden gems of the past decade.

Anderson, who tallied 27 total touchdowns and nearly 4,500 all-purpose yards in his NFL stint, announced his retirement from professional football just under a month ago. Although only 29 years old, Anderson has endured the wear and tear of the running back position since he was a child. In addition to making a Pro Bowl in 2014, he won the Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos in 2016 and appeared in another with the Los Angeles Rams two seasons ago.

Having grown up in the Bay Area and having played for Cal, joining the Bears’ football program as an introduction to collegiate coaching only made perfect sense to Anderson. He will join the team as a volunteer offensive coach, though he will not be able to coach the players directly on the field during practice in his current role. Regardless, he will be a valuable mentor to one of Cal’s rising stars in running back Christopher Brown Jr., as well as to newcomer Bradrick Shaw and veteran Marcel Dancy.

The Bears are expected to have a dangerous rushing attack under new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, and the addition of Anderson should only help get Cal over the hump.

Shailin Singh covers football. Contact him at [email protected].