BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 25, 2022

No Bra Day: Why I have yet to go braless in public

BRIANNA LUNA | STAFF

OCTOBER 13, 2020

Every person who has breasts makes their own decision of whether or not they want to wear a bra. It’s undeniable that one of the reasons behind the creation of bras was to hide breasts or make them appear smaller. The usage of bras reflects societal pressure every womxn has felt: the pressure to be less, to be quieter or to be unnoticed.

However, the braless movement has gained a lot of traction in recent years. I’m sure most people know someone who has decided to burn their bras and finally live a happy, unrestricted, less expensive life. As a feminist, I support anyone who makes this decision. However, I can’t bring myself to ditch my bras, despite the fact that I find them to be super uncomfortable and a burden on my bank account. 

Although going braless is an act that in and of itself might be stigmatized, I feel that this stigma is doubled when people who have bigger breasts decide to ditch their bras. This can be because it’s more noticeable, which may not be the case for those with smaller breasts. Therefore, other people might not make those with smaller breasts feel more uncomfortable about what they’re wearing compared to how they make those with bigger breasts feel.

Often I have wondered if this is just a “me problem,” but when I do “the right thing” and wear a bra, I still get unwanted attention about my boobs. Since boobs are sexualized, having big boobs exacerbates the problem. I mean, even when I’m wearing an “innocent” T-shirt, it looks like I’m trying to be sexual. That’s why I try to hide my body behind baggy clothes or clothes that don’t express my true style.

I think if I were to go braless, all hell would break loose. I don’t want to make a choice that would bring me more unwanted, judgmental stares. On the one hand, I like pretty bras and how they make me feel good about my body. On the other hand, bra shopping is a dreadful event because it’s difficult to find comfortable ones in my size. Even though not wearing a bra has countless appealing benefits — doing so supposedly helps make your boobs perkier and helps improve circulation I’m not mentally ready to take the plunge. 

Maybe if I jump into the deep end of my ever-evolving “I don’t care about what you think” attitude, I will be ready to kiss Victoria’s Secret and its overpriced bras goodbye. But I’m not sure how far in the future that would be. I’m good with supporting the braless movement from the sidelines, and I’ll be cheering y’all on along every step of the way. At least for now, I’ll stick to going braless in the comfort of my home, far away from the judgment of the world. In conclusion, to celebrate this year’s No Bra Day, do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable in your own body! You should be supported regardless of what this decision might entail.

Contact Özge Terzioğlu at 

OCTOBER 13, 2020