BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 19, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

The Clog's guide to curing sleepiness from early classes

ALEXANDRA NOBIDA | FILE

OCTOBER 13, 2020

Bleary-eyed, I slapped my iPhone until the “Slow Rise” alarm sound stopped ringing. Another day of summer classes unfolded with an earlier start than I preferred. Due to my time difference, I needed to wake up at 9 a.m. to watch a lecture before my discussion section at 11 a.m. 

Early morning classes have been a recurring pain since the beginning of time, and the horrific effects are nearly an epidemic among college students. Students falling asleep at the back of lecture halls. My coworker sleeping under the desk during our campus job shift. How could we possibly fix this?

I hereby present a solution. Based on scientific research conducted by my own body, the solution is a caffeinated nap. How did you discover this? What exactly does this mean, I hear you ask? Let me explain. I usually drink tea in the morning to keep my eyes open. I was feeling especially tired one day, so instead of attending discussion, I slept through it, using the legendary Zoom features to turn my video off and mute myself. To my pleasant surprise, after waking up, I actually felt amazing, as if I could have run the Boston marathon.

What was the secret? I usually didn’t feel this amazing after a normal nap. The only thing that was different was the copious amounts of caffeine I had consumed before the nap, so I decided to test this hypothesis. The next day, I actually woke up an hour earlier than the time when I usually watched the lecture recording, leaving a comfortable 75-minute gap for me to sleep before discussion. Right after lecture, I drank two cups of black tea, closed my eyes and dove into bed. Waking up was a heavenly experience once again, so for the rest of summer, I used this technique to power through my discrete mathematics class. 

So, if you find yourself with an unfortunate early morning schedule, I recommend you try this method. Even if it means waking up earlier than you would otherwise, you’ll find yourself more alert and ready to power through the day!

Contact Kristel Fung at [email protected].

OCTOBER 13, 2020