BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 06, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Berkeley adds four drop boxes for ballot returns, open 24 hours

ADITI RAGHUNATH | FILE

Berkeley residents are able to drop off their ballots at one of six drop box locations around the city until Nov. 3 at 8 p.m. The city also has nine accessible voting locations, which are large spaces that are meant to facilitate social distancing, that are open to voters Oct. 31 to Nov. 3.

OCTOBER 15, 2020

Morning, night and anytime in between, Berkeley residents can drop off their ballots until 8 p.m. Nov. 3 at one of six drop boxes around the city, four of which recently opened.

As mail-in voting grows during the pandemic, the Alameda County Registrar of Voters has increased the number of drop boxes in the county to 66, including four new locations in Berkeley, according to a city of Berkeley press release.

The six 24-hour drop boxes in Berkeley are the only official drop boxes in the city, and they are available at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Building, UC Berkeley campus, Frances Albrier Recreation Center, Claremont Branch library, North Branch library and West Branch library, according to the press release.

The Registrar of Voters retrieves ballots from drop boxes daily, with the last pickup scheduled for Nov. 3 at 8 p.m., the press release adds. Ballots submitted at the drop boxes do not need postage, and to ensure votes are counted, people must use a drop box in the county they are registered to vote in, use the return envelope provided and sign the back of it.

Accessible voting locations, or AVLs, which are larger spaces intended to facilitate social distancing, will be open across Alameda County Oct. 31 through Nov. 3 at 100 locations, according to the press release.

Berkeley has nine AVLs, located at the Berkeley High School gym, Ed Roberts Campus, Lawrence Hall of Science, Longfellow Middle School gym, City of Berkeley facility (formerly Premier Cru) on University Avenue, Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union’s third floor ballroom, Northbrae Community Church, Epworth United Methodist Church and Willard Middle School.

Maxine Mouly is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @moulymaxine.

OCTOBER 15, 2020