Healthy fall pantry staples: The Clog’s dorm-friendly essentials

Photo of fall kitchen staples: cinnamon, onion, chai, etc
David McAllister/Staff

Eating healthy in a dorm is easier said than done. You don’t always have access to kitchen equipment, and unfortunately, storage space is usually filled with textbooks and college paraphernalia. But there’s no need to fret! We at the Clog have assembled a list of pantry staples that will power you through midterm season.

Instant oatmeal

Trader Joe’s sells affordable packages of oatmeal (buy unsweetened to get the most health benefits) that are perfect for quick breakfasts! Heat some water in your microwave, and add the oats and your favorite toppings.

Nut and seed butters

Enjoy these on apple slices, rice crackers or oatmeal. You can also include them in smoothies for a protein-packed boost to your meals. They also add healthy fats, which equal brain food.

Pumpkin spice

Instead of using cinnamon for your oats and desserts, add pumpkin spice for the perfect fall flavor.

Frozen chicken sausage

This is a perfect source of protein that can be heated up in your microwave. Add it to salads and egg scrambles for the perfect dorm-friendly meal.

Greek yogurt

Greek yogurt is packed with probiotics to support your immune system. Pairing it with banana slices, almond butter and pumpkin spice makes for the perfect autumn snack.

Frozen brown rice

Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods sell precooked frozen rice, which is perfect to heat in the microwave. Top it off with a source of protein and heated frozen veggies, and you’ve got an easy dorm meal.

Trader Joe’s Almond Butter Turmeric Salad Dressing

Whether you use it as a salad dressing, a dip for raw veggies or a sauce for rice bowls, this turmeric dressing will become your new favorite dorm essential.

We hope you enjoy these fall essentials. Easy and healthy dorm meals will be so much easier if you keep these staples on hand!

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].