Cal scheduled to host multiple postseason events in 2022, 2024

Rayanne Piaña/File

The NCAA released future postseason locations Wednesday, and Cal received a host of selections in different sports. Postseason water polo and gymnastics will return to Berkeley in 2022 and 2024.

In 2022, the Spieker Aquatics Complex will witness the NCAA men’s water polo national championship. The hallowed pool will host the men’s NCAA championships for the fourth time, and Bears fans may take encouragement from the advantages posed for the hosts. The blue and gold have made the finals in two of the three tournaments they have hosted, and their most recent national championship came in the familiar confines of the Spieker Aquatics Complex in 2016.

Cal women’s water polo has yet to win a national championship and has yet to host one. That will change in 2024, when the Spieker Aquatics Complex hosts the NCAA women’s water polo national championship. The Bears finished as runners-up in the tournament in 2011 and will have several years to seek a first-ever championship before they host the event.

2024 will be a busy one for Cal, as Haas Pavilion, just a glance away from the Spieker Aquatics Complex, will host the NCAA women’s gymnastics regionals. It will be the third regional the Bears host, and Cal women’s gymnastics will surely seek to maintain its upward trajectory in preparation for the competition.

Jasper Kenzo Sundeen covers football and is the deputy special issues editor. Contact him at [email protected].