BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

National Weather Service issues red flag warning for East Bay Hills

ISABELLA KO | FILE

Residents in the East Bay Hills were issued a red flag warning by the National Weather Service through Oct. 23. According to an Alameda County alert, residents should prepare for potential wildfire evacuations and maintain caution when handling sources of heat.

OCTOBER 21, 2020

The National Weather Service issued a high fire warning for the East Bay Hills from 10 p.m. Oct. 21 through 8 a.m. Oct. 23.

According to an Alameda County, or AC, Alert message, strong winds, low humidity and high temperatures contribute to “critical fire weather conditions,” in which fires are more likely to spread quickly. The alert advised community members to be cautious when handling heat sources to decrease fire risk.

An AC Alert for the city of Berkeley also cautioned the city’s residents to be prepared for potential wildfire evacuations by signing up for AC Alert, the city’s emergency notification system, reviewing evacuation routes and parking off-street.

Additionally, according to the county alert, PG&E announced plans to shut off power in some areas of Alameda County, not including Berkeley. Residents can check the PG&E website to learn whether their addresses are likely to be affected.

Check back for updates.

Contact Alexandra Feldman at 

OCTOBER 21, 2020