Positive COVID-19 test forces Cal men’s basketball to postpone practices

Photo of a basketball hoop
Nicholas Chun/Staff

Last week, Cal men’s basketball returned to full practices for the first time after a seven-month hiatus. Now, in a year full of setbacks that have plagued the team’s ability to return to the court, another one has appeared. Per a statement from Cal Athletics, a member of the men’s basketball program received a positive COVID-19 result after taking a daily PCR test.

While the student-athlete who tested positive is asymptomatic at this time, head coach Mark Fox will continue to emphasize the safety of his players and staff. The team will pause team workouts for up to two weeks and continues to follow safety precautions concerning contact tracing, quarantining and symptom monitoring from University Health Services Infection Control and the city public health department.

The positive test signifies the first of its kind within Cal Athletics since teams began daily testing procedures at the start of October. If anything, Fox and his players have dealt with adversity all year long and are confident they can rebound from this.

“For nearly eight months we have managed around pandemic-related issues with our eyes looking forward to a season,” Fox said. “Our team and staff will continue to do so now.”

Kabir Rao covers men’s basketball and is a deputy sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].