Vote Terry Taplin for Berkeley City Council District 2

CITY AFFAIRS: Here is The Daily Californian's 2020 endorsement for Berkeley City Council, District 2

Photo of Terry Taplin

Councilmember Cheryl Davila is undoubtedly a political leader. However, The Daily Californian’s editorial board is not certain that Berkeley City Council is the arena in which Davila should lead.

Davila is a progressive force: In addition to pushing for Berkeley’s declaration of a climate emergency in 2018, Davila heightened recognition of the city’s existence on Ohlone territory.

While these are of high societal importance, Davila’s tenure has not generated great physical results. Davila is not one to compromise on the City Council. After four years of abstaining from votes that do not align with her express interests, voting “no” on items that do not agree with her and leaving every City Council meeting at the strike of 10 p.m. regardless of whether all items have been addressed, District 2 needs a new representative that will push for actionable change.

Of Davila’s three challengers, Timothy Carter is the weakest. He skirted specificity in his policies, explaining his reliance on “experts,” “community members” and “bringing everyone together” in his interview with the Daily Cal.

As a result, Taplin and Alex Sharenko are the most qualified candidates. The two are comparable, as demonstrated by the number of dual endorsements they have received. Their platforms are similar, but Taplin’s goes the extra mile.

Both call for reforming Berkeley’s Police Review Commission and getting police back on foot patrols, but Taplin also focuses on rebuilding a positive relationship with communities. Both call for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from transportation, but Taplin also desires investment in a Green New Deal for West Berkeley.

Sharenko described in his interview that his strategy for the next year is to primarily react to the world when making decisions. Taplin contrastingly cited specific goals for improving public transit, fighting the pandemic and protecting small businesses, solidifying that he will push forward the concrete, actionable solutions that District 2 needs.

Vote Terry Taplin for District 2.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board as written by the fall 2020 opinion editor, Katherine Shok.