This is the way: ‘The Mandalorian’ season 2 episode 3 sets sail for new places, familiar faces

Mandalorian
Lucasfilm/Courtesy

Quote of the Week: “I have enough pets.”

From a planet of giant spiders to one of giant squids, our band of unfortunate travelers can’t seem to catch a break. Though its adventures in “Chapter 11: The Heiress” are beset by the usual barrage of treachery, spaceship malfunctions and man-eating monsters, the latest episode of “The Mandalorian” puts Mando (Pedro Pascal) and The Child on a clearer path toward The Child’s home world with a little help from some old friends.

Fresh off their narrow escape from the scary spider death planet, Mando, The Child and Frog Lady (Misty Rosas) make their way to Trask in search of Frog Lady’s husband and the rumored group of Mandalorians that might be able to help them find the Jedi and return The Child to his home. 

At first, everything seems to be going swimmingly — both figuratively and literally, as they find Frog Man (John Cameron), but also crash land their ship into the ocean. A local bartender puts Mando in contact with a ship captain who knows where the Mandalorians are; they make an agreement and set sail. 

The mood on the ship is calm for a while, but things take a bone-chilling turn when the ship’s captain asks Mando if The Child would like to watch them feed the Mamacore (think Kraken) through a hole on the lower deck. The Child is laughing at the fish being dumped into the water when, without warning, the captain pushes him into the water. For a moment, the world stops spinning. And then The Child is swallowed by the enormous fanged squid.

Without hesitation, Mando does what any of us would do and dives into the water. The ship’s crew closes the gate on top of him, and its deceptive plan becomes clear: Bait Mando with The Child, trap him in the water, drown him and collect his valuable armor. The crew’s plan is on the verge of success when, suddenly, a trio of Mandalorians drops out of the sky and takes out the entire crew. The trio pulls Mando onto the deck and dives into the water to rescue The Child. When the dust settles and everyone is safe, the three newcomers remove their helmets.

Mando is taken aback — without a second thought, three Mandalorians have just violated the cardinal rule of their creed. Registering his dismay, they explain that compulsory face covering is a tenet followed only by the Children of the Watch, a group of zealots that broke away from mainstream Mandalorian society before The Purge. For other Mandalorians, removing one’s helmet is perfectly acceptable.

This particular group of Mandalorians is led by Bo-Katan Kryze (Katee Sackhoff). Bo-Katan is a veteran of the “Star Wars” universe; she previously appeared in the animated series “Star Wars Rebels” as the leader of an insurgency who opposed the Empire’s puppet regime on Mandalore. When we last saw her, she had accepted the Darksaber from her sister-in-arms Sabine Wren, and with it, the responsibility of leading the Mandalorians in the fight for liberation from the empire.

Since then, though, Mandalore has essentially been destroyed by the Empire, and as we learned at the end of season one, the Darksaber now belongs to Moff Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito). If Bo-Katan is going to unify her people and restore Mandalore to its former glory, she’s going to need that weapon back.

They need Mando’s help to find it, and they have something they can offer him in return: the Jedi’s location. All Mando needs to do is help them rob an Imperial shipping vessel carrying Mandalorian weapons. Though they board the ship without a problem, they quickly discover that the main prize isn’t onboard. Still, a deal’s a deal, and Bo-Katan gives Mando the information he seeks: The Jedi Ahsoka Tano is located on the planet Corvus. 

Ahsoka, who will be played by Rosario Dawson, is a holdover from the series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” and aside from the vague appearance of Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) in “Chapter 9,” she’ll be the first major “Star Wars” character to enter “The Mandalorian” universe. With the legacy Ahsoka carries — and the star power Dawson brings — the upcoming episodes are sure to bring the intensity we’ve been waiting for. 

“The Mandalorian” is streaming on Disney+ every Friday.

Matthew DuMont covers television. Contact him at [email protected].