BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 27, 2022

COVID-19 setback postpones Cal vs. Washington State

RAYANNE PIAÑA | FILE

DECEMBER 04, 2020

The old saying, “It’s a matter of when, not if,” is extremely applicable to the sports world right now. A basketball season during a pandemic is bound to bring on complications, and for the first time this season, a Cal women’s basketball game is postponed due to COVID-19. Cal’s much-anticipated matchup against Washington State, originally scheduled for Sunday, has been postponed because of a Pac-12 policy that requires seven scholarship student-athletes to be game-ready. The Cougars do not meet this number due to COVID-19 protocols and contract tracing. There are plans to reschedule the game to a later time this season, but a date has not been set in stone.

Washington State had an 11-20 record last year and was 4-14 against Pac-12 competition. In both of their matchups against the Bears last season, the Cougars won by more than 20 points. Cal last played Washington State on Jan. 31 and suffered a 92-66 beatdown in Pullman. Jazlen Green was the leading scorer for the blue and gold, pouring in 18 points, while Washington State was led by Borislava Hristova, who scored a game-high 32 points.

Looking ahead, barring any COVID-19 complications, Cal is set to resume play against San Francisco on Dec. 10 at Haas Pavilion.

Contact Justin Kim at 

DECEMBER 04, 2020