BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Berkeley police find loaded gun, ammunition, cocaine during traffic stop

BERKELEY POLICE DEPARTMENT | COURTESY

During a traffic enforcement stop Nov. 28 near San Pablo Avenue and Dwight Way, Berkeley police officers arrested an individual on suspicion of carrying a loaded and concealed gun, ammunition and cocaine for sale.

|

Senior Staff

DECEMBER 07, 2020

While conducting a traffic enforcement stop, Berkeley Police Department officers arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of carrying a loaded, concealed firearm and possessing narcotics for sale.

The smell of alcoholic beverages and the sight of Bud Light cans in the backseat led to the stop, which occurred Nov. 28 around 8:30 p.m. near San Pablo Avenue and Dwight Way, according to a BPD alert sent out Monday. When the car was searched, officers found a loaded handgun, several rounds of additional ammunition, more than 7 grams of powder cocaine and more than 5 grams of rock cocaine. In total, the amount of cocaine is enough for more than 120 individual doses, the alert states.

Officers also found that the driver was using a previously suspended license, according to the alert.

Check back for updates.

Maria Young is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @maria_myoung.

DECEMBER 07, 2020