BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 27, 2022

Positive COVID-19 test forces cancellation of Cal, WSU game

KAREN CHOW | FILE

DECEMBER 12, 2020

Cal’s clash with Washington State, its penultimate game of the regular season, has been canceled hours before kickoff due to a positive PCR test within the Cal football program. Subsequent contact tracing and COVID-19 protocols put the Bears below the minimum number of scholarship student-athletes required by the Pac-12.

“The Pac-12 has, after consultation with Cal, canceled the Cal at Washington State football game scheduled for later today, Saturday, December 12,” the conference said in a press release. “While all of us want to see our football student-athletes on the field competing, our number one priority must continue to be the health and safety of all those connected to Pac-12 football programs.”

The game will be declared a no contest, according to conference policy.

According to a tweet from Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports and The Athletic, the Bears would have had just two defensive linemen available. This cancellation bears a resemblance to Cal’s first cancellation of the season, when a positive COVID-19 test, reportedly from a defensive lineman, created a similar deficiency at the position.

The Bears traveled to Pullman this weekend to take on the Cougars as each team sought its second win of the season. The two teams had been originally scheduled to play at 7:30 p.m., but on Thursday, the game was rescheduled to 1 p.m. Now that game will not be played.

The possibility of another game still exists for the blue and gold. The Pac-12’s schedule had stipulated a final game against a yet-to-be-scheduled opponent in the final weekend of the season on Dec. 19.

It is unclear, however, what the full implications are of this weekend’s cancellation. Cal previously had its home opener against Washington canceled due to COVID-19 but was able to play the following week against UCLA.

Contact Jasper Kenzo Sundeen at  or on Twitter

DECEMBER 12, 2020