Cal offensive lineman Jake Curhan declares for 2021 NFL draft

Photo of Jake Curhan
Cal Football/Courtesy
Jake Curhan

After five seasons in blue and gold, Cal offensive lineman Jake Curhan will say his goodbye to Memorial Stadium and take his talents to the next level, according to a tweet from the right tackle on New Year’s Eve.

“After five years, it is time for me to pursue my goals and dreams,” Curhan said in a statement on Twitter. “Despite the extra year of eligibility granted, I have decided to declare for the 2021 NFL Draft.”

Curhan’s career with the Bears consisted of 40 starts at right tackle after he redshirted his freshman season. The Redwood High School product featured on academic honor rolls and All-Academic teams throughout his time at Cal and featured on All-Pac-12 teams after his junior season.

During his redshirt freshman, sophomore and junior campaigns, Curhan started every game of the season. Contact tracing requirements limited him to just two games — clashes with UCLA and Oregon — during his final season, but Curhan and the Bears ended a turbulent 2020 season with an upset win over the Ducks.

Curhan is the first Cal offensive lineman to opt out of his extra year of eligibility, an extra year granted by the NCAA due to COVID-19; center Michael Saffell opted to return to Cal in 2021. While Curhan is not listed highly by ESPN or CBS as a draft prospect, he could be a late-round draft pick or sign as an undrafted free agent.

The Bears’ offensive line gained both depth and experience in 2020, but Curhan’s presence will still be sorely missed by the Cal offense and Memorial Stadium faithful alike.

“I need to thank every teammate I have had at Cal for inspiring me and driving me to want to be better every day,” Curhan said in the statement. “I have nothing but gratitude for my time in Berkeley and am proud to be a Golden Bear for life.”

Jasper Kenzo Sundeen covers football. Contact him at [email protected].