Cal women’s basketball matchup against Oregon State postponed

Photo of Haas Pavilion
RAYANNE PIAÑA/File

Cal women’s basketball will have to wait a little bit longer to play its first home game of 2021. The Bears’ matchup against the Beavers, scheduled for this Friday, has been postponed due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the Oregon State program that leaves them below the minimum number of scholarship athletes required to play.

The team is dealing with COVID-19 complications that arose following a 61-55 road loss against Washington State on Dec. 20. The Beavers have not seen the court since and have already postponed matchups against USC, UCLA and Washington. Oregon State has also been forced to postpone its Jan. 10 matchup against No. 1 Stanford, meaning the team will miss five consecutive games.

The game has been postponed indefinitely, and it is currently unclear when it will be made up. This isn’t the first time this season that Cal has had a home game delayed due to an opponent’s COVID-19 issues — it also had its contest against Washington State postponed Dec. 6, and makeup plans have yet to be announced.

For the Bears, a matchup with the shorthanded Beavers, who rank ninth in the conference, would have been a good opportunity for the 0-9 squad to get into the win column for the first time this season. Instead, the blue and gold will next be in action Sunday, when they host No. 11 Oregon in what certainly promises to be a tougher task.

The COVID-19 pandemic has presented significant challenges for Cal and the rest of the college basketball world. The postponement of games is simply the reality in this heavily altered season and just one more obstacle the Bears will have to overcome.

Benjamin Coleman covers women’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected].