Cal reels in commitment from 4-star quarterback Justyn Martin

Photo of Memorial Stadium
Alwin Wu/File

Cal football is off to a hot start in 2021 — thanks to the class of 2022.

Consensus four-star quarterback Justyn Martin made his commitment to the Bears on Monday, giving the blue and gold their second addition to the 2022 recruiting class. Martin — the No. 8 pro-style quarterback in the nation, according to 247Sports — joins defensive tackle Damonic Williams.

The 6’4”, 185-pound quarterback, a star for Inglewood High School in Southern California, is touted for his arm strength but has recently developed his pocket mobility and accuracy while throwing on the run. Cal offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave emphasized play action and bootleg plays in 2020, both of which require quarterbacks who are comfortable with making plays outside the pocket.

Martin reportedly narrowed down his offer sheet, which included the likes of USC, Oregon and Nebraska, to Cal, Arizona State and Oregon State. Martin visited Cal’s campus last week in a trip that seemingly cemented his decision — a decision that seemed to be around the corner for a few weeks now.

The junior told 247Sports that he hopes to help build out Cal’s 2022 recruiting class, especially on the offensive side, where the Bears will be aiming to add quality playmakers around him. Until then, Martin will have a chance to improve his recruiting rankings even further should Inglewood resume football this fall.

Shailin Singh covers football. Contact him at [email protected].