Why you should start cooking for yourself

Photo of cooking
David McAllister/Staff

Cooking can seem like a lot of work. It seems far easier to just order some takeout, wait for it to arrive and stand over a hot stove so that it’s piping hot when you eat. However easy and appealing ordering takeout might be, there are plenty of benefits to cooking, if you can. Here are just some of the reasons you should get into the habit of cooking for yourself.

Choose exactly what you eat

One of the biggest benefits of cooking for yourself is that you’re in control. You can cook what you want and make it just the way you want. You may have to plan your groceries ahead of time, but still, you get to choose. That ability to eat exactly what you want without digging through a menu is a wonderful feeling.

It can be relaxing

Cooking a meal is oddly relaxing. It might have something to do with the fact that it can be a low-stress activity that’s still productive. Of course, this may not be the case if you’re trying a complicated dish for the first time. However, with some experience you can get into the groove, and even a complicated thing can be relaxing.

It’s a way to easily impress people

Being able to make a good meal is quite impressive. It shows some talent and self-sufficiency. It can also be the centerpiece of a nice social evening. Practice your cooking now, and you can impress your friends later once the pandemic is over. You can also try to impress the people you’re sheltering with in the meantime.

Have food when you want it

There’s no need to worry if a restaurant is no longer open when you’re the chef. So even if it’s 2 a.m. on a Wednesday, you can still get some food. In addition, you don’t have to worry about waking up early for breakfast food because the restaurants only serve it until 11 a.m. When you cook, you can make breakfast food at any time of the day.

This is just a short and incomplete list of all the benefits that come from cooking for yourself. So why not try out cooking and find some dishes? Enjoy, and hopefully, you cook some amazing food.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .