What Are the Main Characteristics of the Modern Consumer?

Now we have officially transitioned into the digital era, there is no denying the fact that the world is a significantly different place to the one we lived in twenty years ago. It’s impossible to walk down the street without seeing somebody on their smartphone; and the prospect of going a day without an internet connection is horrifying. Our tech-reliant society has also changed regarding its buying patterns. We want everything to be bigger and better than ever before. This brings us onto the topic of our article today; what exactly are the main characteristics of the modern consumer? How has technology changed our demands? Keep reading to find out the answers to these questions and more.

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

On-Demand

The modern consumer has become very impatient. As technology has made many aspects of life quicker and easier, we expect this of everything now. Resultantly, we have become a society obsessed with instant gratification. If we cannot have something the very moment we want it, then we will discard this option and look for a faster alternative. This has given rise to ‘on-demand’ entertainment like the streaming platform Netflix. After all, why wait for a program to air on television when you can watch it online immediately?

Convenience

Following on from our point about instant-gratification, the modern consumer is also very concerned with convenience. Once again, because technology has made everything so much easier, this has become the status quo that we all expect. If something isn’t particularly convenient, then we are much less likely to invest in it. For example, people don’t want to travel miles to their local land-based casino – they would much rather head online and play from home instead. As a result, most businesses have begun to prioritise convenience when delivering their services. That’s why most retailers and restaurants are offering home delivery to their customers now.

Personal Preference

The internet contributed towards globalisation, which is the process by which organisations grow their influence on an international scale. Globalisation means that more products and services are available on the market than ever before. As such, the modern consumer has a larger selection to choose from. Therefore, it is much harder for companies to persuade customers to invest in them, so they are now relying on offering personalised products and services. For example, you can now buy skincare products which are exactly tailored to your skin tone and type.

Eco-Friendly

Finally, the modern consumer is also much more concerned about being environmentally conscious. This is a fairly recent development which has been fuelled by the global climate crisis. Resultantly, people have started to prioritise buying products which are eco-friendly. Electric cars, for example, have become increasingly popular because they are better for the environment than diesel-run vehicles. The modern consumer is also much more likely to purchase vegan products for this reason, too.

These are some of the main characteristics of the modern consumer. Though we are more preoccupied with convenience and instant gratification, we are also more environmentally conscious and willing to spend time finding the perfect product for us.

The Daily Californian’s editorial and newsroom staff were not involved in this advertisement’s production. For advertising and sponsorship opportunities or more information about paid content, contact [email protected]