Cal baseball set to play full, normal schedule

Photo of Cal Baseball
Josh Kahen/File

With just three weeks left before its season begins, Cal baseball has finally learned where, when and who it will be playing for the first time in nearly a year. Despite the uncertainty that surrounded the 2021 season, the Bears will still play a completely regular schedule, with four nonconference series and a few midweek games mixed into their conference slate.

Cal will start its season Feb. 19 — just a week later than in normal years — facing off against Pacific in a four-game “home-and-home” matchup. The Bears will see more nonconference foes the next three weekends as well, playing four-game stints against San Francisco, St. Mary’s and Loyola Marymount. A home series against California Baptist in mid-March rounds out the blue and gold’s nonconference schedule.

The team will then proceed to play all of its Pac-12 opponents, highlighted by matchups against No. 2 UCLA and No. 22 Arizona. The Pac-12 remains highly competitive in 2021, and the Bears have been picked to finish seventh in the conference by D1Baseball.

Although the blue and gold have opted to stay in-state for their nonconference games, their schedule remains characteristically strong. Cal will play six regional teams from 2019, including up-and-coming programs Loyola Marymount and California Baptist.

The 2021 collegiate baseball postseason is also scheduled to run during its normal time slot, beginning with regionals during the first week of June and culminating with the College World Series later that month.

Noah Parker covers baseball and rugby. Contact him at [email protected].