BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

CA Gov. Newsom announces launch of Safe Schools Reopening Map

CA SAFE SCHOOLS FOR ALL | COURTESY

The Safe Schools Reopening Map was launched by California Gov. Gavin Newsom in order to provide data to local communities and ensure transparency as schools reopen statewide. The map includes information for public, private and charter schools in California.

FEBRUARY 13, 2021

As a part of statewide efforts to safely reopen schools, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the launch of the Safe Schools Reopening Map on Saturday.

The interactive map provides the status of statewide school reopenings in order to provide data to local communities and ensure transparency, according to a press release from the governor’s office. The map — available at the Safe Schools for All Hub — is part of the governor’s larger Safe Schools for All Plan, which aims to provide resources to public schools aiming to reopen.

“As COVID-19 conditions continue to improve and vaccinations ramp up throughout the state, this map will provide local communities with accessible, up-to-date information on how districts in their communities and beyond are adapting to the pandemic, including safety planning and implementation,” Newsom said in the press release.

The map, developed by the governor’s office in partnership with the California Collaborative for Educational Excellence and county offices of education, displays information for public, private and charter schools. This includes each school’s reopening status, COVID-19 support policies and safety protocols, the press release added.

In addition to data from schools, the map will incorporate data from the California Department of Public Health, or CDPH, on the status of COVID-19 testing and any reported outbreaks in each district, according to the press release. Data from schools will be updated every two weeks, and additional data on student enrollment may be added based on approval from the state legislature.

The Safe Schools for All Hub, which was launched in January, aims to consolidate all available information on school reopenings and efforts to resume safe in-person instruction, according to the press release.

Along with the hub, the State Safe Schools Team — a cross-agency team composed of experts from CDPH, Cal/OSHA and educational agencies — will continue to provide support to schools reopening. Services include issuing updating public health guidance, distributing supplies and personal protective equipment to all public schools and connecting schools with state COVID-19 testing resources.

“The State Safe Schools Team will continue developing resources that support schools to plan and implement safe school reopenings, beginning with our youngest and most disproportionately impacted students,” the press release states.

Contact Aditya Katewa at  or on Twitter

FEBRUARY 14, 2021