BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Suspect charged with attempted murder following stabbing at People's Park

DANIEL KIM | FILE

Berkeley Police Department officers arrested two men on suspicion of attempted grand theft of a catalytic converter Friday.

MARCH 08, 2021

Update 03/11/2021: This article has been updated to include more information from UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Jacob Westlie.

Following an unrelated stabbing incident on Hillegass Avenue, another stabbing occurred inside a tent in People’s Park on Saturday.

Berkeley Police Department officers — who were in the area investigating the unrelated stabbing — responded to a disturbance in the park at 2:06 a.m., according to UCPD Administrative Sgt. Jacob Westlie. After officers observed the suspect holding a knife, the suspect discarded the knife and fled, only to be pursued by officers on foot and taken into custody.

Back in the park, Westlie noted, BPD and UCPD officers made contact with the victim of the disturbance, a 30-year-old female with no campus affiliation who had been “gravely stabbed” multiple times by the suspect. The victim was later taken to a local hospital for treatment and is expected to recover.

In the meantime, UCPD launched a criminal investigation, interviewing those involved and possible witnesses, Westlie said. Once concluded, the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged the suspect, 27-year-old female Shellena Tate, who has no address and no campus affiliation, with attempted murder.

UCPD asks anyone with information pertaining to the case to contact it at (510) 642-6760.

Check back for updates.

Contact Veronica Roseborough at 

MARCH 11, 2021