I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of plain old buttered popcorn for my movie nights. Contrary to popular belief, making caramel popcorn is super easy, and I’m surprised not many people know how to make it. With this recipe, you no longer have to wait to go to the movie theater to enjoy some mouthwatering caramel popcorn. On that note, how do you pronounce caramel? Well, who cares. Let’s debate about it after we make this delicious caramel popcorn recipe together.
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 cups popcorn
- This goes without saying — make your popcorn! Throw some kernels into a popcorn maker or into a deep pan on the stove-top until the plain popcorn is ready.
- Lay your popcorn out on baking sheets covered with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Melt your butter in a saucepan. Once melted, add the brown sugar, and stir the mixture until it reaches a boil. It should be sizzling!
- Keep the heat on, letting the mixture sit at a boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add some vanilla extract and baking soda, and let it boil for another minute.
- Be careful: You are now dealing with a boiling sugar and butter mixture, so do not touch it with your hands! Pour the mixture over your popcorn, and grab your two largest spoons in the kitchen to mix everything around and to make sure all the popcorn is generously covered. The mixture cools quickly, so be sure to pour and stir right away.
- Eat away! Try to share, but if it’s too darn good, you’ll just have to make another batch for yourself.
Serving size: 4 people
As expected, although the serving size says four people, once you try this recipe, you may not want to share! So for your next movie night, grab these five ingredients, and whip up a batch of delicious caramel popcorn in under 10 minutes. Also, it’s pronounced “car-mel,” if you ask me. If you don’t agree, try out this recipe and then ask your friends. Enjoy!
Contact Natalia Brusco at [email protected].