UC Berkeley tracks COVID-19 vaccinations with immunization dashboard

Infographic showing how to navigate the COVID-19 immunization dashboard
Mai Chiamthamachinda/Staff

UC Berkeley announced a COVID-19 immunization dashboard March 11 that tracks the number of vaccinations administered by University Health Services, or UHS, each week.

This resource is the fifth addition to a set of campus COVID-19 dashboards. Others include information on contact tracing, quarantine and isolation, COVID-19 testing, workplace exposure. UC Berkeley introduced the immunization dashboard to keep students, staff and the public informed about the additional aspect of campus’s pandemic response, according to UHS spokesperson Tami Cate.

“The dashboards and the data that is displayed is one of the ways we can keep the campus community updated on how we as a campus are doing to slow the spread of COVID-19,” Cate said in an email. “The more information and data that people have the more it can help to remind them of the steps they can take to help prevent COVID-19 and it helps keep the campus updated on where we are at.”

Interactive data is displayed on the dashboard for the weekly administration of first and second doses of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines that began Jan. 10. The site also shows a running total of distributed vaccines. UHS has administered 3,648 first doses and has fully vaccinated 2,622 people as of press time.

Cate noted in the email that the campus dashboard only reflects vaccines administered by UHS and not providers unaffiliated with UC Berkeley. City immunization efforts include many types of vaccination locations, such as private health care providers, pharmacies and mass distribution sites.

Campus freshman Alisha Dalvi noted that the dashboard helps her keep track of campus supplies and the current rate of vaccination.

“Prior to getting vaccinated, I used it a few times to gage how fast students and faculty were getting vaccinated and it made me more hopeful that I would receive it myself,” Dalvi said in an email. “It is also just good insight to have: to be aware of the accessibility of the vaccine and how widespread the distribution is.”

Dalvi added in the email that as the number of vaccinations increases, she will feel more comfortable socializing. She noted that during the school year, she also used the testing dashboard to decide how to take COVID-19 precautions and to know when to expect her UHS test results.

Along with all other COVID-19 dashboards, the immunization dashboard will continue to be updated and available for as long as the pandemic continues, according to Cate.

“The numbers in them might change, for example, vaccine/immunization will go up as more get vaccinated and likely testing will start to go down if the testing frequency is reduced based on being fully vaccinated,” Cate said in the email. “We may add new dashboards if other indicators are needed to track our COVID-19 response efforts.”

Contact Emma Taila at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @emmataila.