Cal confident heading into rematches with Oregon, Oregon State

Photo of Cal Women's Soccer
Celine Bellegarda/Senior Staff

At the beginning of the season, Cal made a stellar return to competition, going on the road and defeating Pac-12 opponents Oregon State and Oregon. After a grueling process of rescheduling and postponing, the Bears were back in action for the first time in months.

This weekend, Cal will be clashing with Oregon State and Oregon once again, this time at home. Having beaten both teams at the season’s beginning, the Bears have reason to be confident in the rematches.

Cal brought palpable energy in its season opener against Oregon State. Equipped with the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation, the team took full advantage of its first opportunity to display its new players. The Bears were eager to pick up from where they left off in November 2019, which marked the last time they suited up.

In its match at Oregon State, Cal’s talent was on glorious display as the Bears won by a score of 3-1, with their three goals coming from senior Emma Westin, junior Paige Metayer and freshman Anysa Gray. The defensive line operated as a unit, giving the Beavers’ offense fits and rendering the goalkeeper’s box nearly impenetrable. Cal will be hoping for a similar performance in its upcoming game with Oregon State.

Oregon State is currently nursing its wounds after a loss against Oregon by a score of 0-2. Given this recent result, the Bears are definitely the favorites to beat the Beavers, who show no signs of picking up the pace to meet the blue and gold’s speed. 

Cal had to battle harder in its early season meeting with Oregon, winning a tense 1-0 contest against the Ducks. Westin ultimately came through for the Bears, scoring in the 70th minute and earning the blue and gold their second victory. After its most recent victory against Oregon State, Oregon will be out for redemption against Cal. 

This will make for a very contentious and competitive match. Nonetheless, Cal remains hopeful as the team’s players continue to shine on the pitch. Angelina Anderson, the Bears’ star goalkeeper, has been named Pac-12 Goalkeeper of The Week after her outstanding display against Stanford in Cal’s most recent match. Anchored by Anderson, the Bears will be ready for whatever their opponents throw at them.

As both Oregon teams arrive in Berkeley, the Ducks remain the team to watch as they pose the greatest challenge to the Bears. While Cal remains ecstatic about its recent win against Stanford, the team must remain cautious as it prepares to host two opponents looking to avenge losses from earlier in the season.

Maria Khan covers women’s soccer. Contact her at [email protected]