Deciphering obscure finds from my notes app

Image of computer with notes app open
Antonio Martin/Staff

For many of us, our notes app is a pretty private place, privy to some of our innermost thoughts. Some of the things we jot down in our notes app might seem completely absurd to an external observer, but how many of your notes even make sense to you? I’m going to be attempting to decipher some of the most obscure notes I dug up that would have made complete sense to me when I first jotted them down but now seem like utter gibberish.

“Focalization”

I’ve found that the longer I do online school, the steeper my note-taking skills decline. This note is an example of my current note-taking abilities. I wrote down one term from my entire English lecture and called it a day. It’s a great term, but what does it even mean? I might never find out. But hey, that’s what the lecture slides are for.

“It was like when you have to scratch another part of your body to relieve the itch but you have no idea where it is and then you find it and there is no greater feeling”

I have a habit of waking myself up to jot down the brilliant ideas that come to me in my sleep, except I wake up the next morning and the ideas don’t seem so bright after all. This is an example of a killer metaphor that I thought I had come up with. What was the metaphor meant to describe? Who knows. 

“Macbeth, Macbeth 

All he wanna do is take out Duncan 

Alas, alas, that plan ended up just tanking 

Cause he got a conscience, he been feeling guilty

He full of ambition, but things got too bloody 

Macbeth, Macbeth 

All he can do now is await his death” 

My creative juices were really flowing one night after I had spent all evening driving around listening to “Roxanne” by Arizona Zervas. My friend and I decided to rewrite the chorus in honor of Shakespeare’s famous tragedy. Sing it to yourself in the tune of the song, and see if it makes sense to you. 

“Mask 😷” 

I wrote this down when I discovered that Apple changed the mask emoji from a sickly face to a happy one. I thought it was cute. 

“Call me by your name

Beautiful boy 

Little Women

Hot Summer Nights

Lady Bird

The King 

Miss Stevens”

This is my own power ranking of all the Timothée Chalamet movies I watched in the span of two weeks during the summer. I still stand by it. 

“Bring fork”

I had a hard time with this one. Where was I going that required me to bring my own fork? Or was I planning to tell someone to bring their own fork? Why did I need to remind myself to do this? All good questions that I do not have an answer for.

“Even if I’m smart it doesn’t matter. I won’t get far because I have a porn star name” 

This is a direct quote I overheard my friend say one day. I felt for her. 

So there you have it. Some of my old notes I was able to decipher, while others will forever remain a mystery. If you’re looking for a fun brain exercise to try, go through your own old notes and see if you can make heads or tails of them.

Contact Saamya Mungamuru at [email protected].