Soul-searching and songwriting: Hoosh talks first EP, ‘Everything’s Going to be Alright’

Image from Hoosh
Gone Till Never/Courtesy

In an interview with The Daily Californian, Miami-based singer Hoosh explained: “The whole concept of it is like … I have no idea what the fuck is going on, does anybody else have any idea what the fuck is going on?”

Hoosh’s query to the world is one of many rhetorical questions the artist poses in his debut EP, Everything’s Going to be Alright. Breaking down his new album track by track, Hoosh contemplated the recurring themes of uncertainty and impermanence along the way.

“It’s almost like playing devil’s advocate with yourself,” Hoosh said of the song “Vice City,” a laid-back tune that features his silky voice and hard-hitting realism. “I feel like you’ll get so much advice from people … but at the same time there’s always a point I feel like you get to where nobody really knows.”

While the lyricism in the EP might convey authentic anxiety about the unknowns of the world, Hoosh manages to stay grounded through the support of his family, who have encouraged his career since its beginning.

“For me to become a musician and (for) them to be cool with it, it’s crazy,” he emphasized. “Like, where they came from that’s like, ‘what are you doing?’ ”

Originally born in Alabama but of Sudanese descent, Hoosh was raised internationally, living at different points in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Ohio.

“It was a lot for (my family) to adjust to, a lot of different cultures that they had to take in, and kind of acclimate to, and I feel like that’s just not easy,” he acknowledged. “I owe them the world.”

Not only did Hoosh’s family teach him to become extremely absorbent of culture, but they also inadvertently sparked his zeal for hip-hop.

“(2pac) was like my intro to hip-hop in general. I remember accidentally stumbling on my brother’s All Eyez on Me cassette tape … I just listened to it all the time. I was definitely way too young to be listening to it … (but) it had a profound impact on me.”

Hoosh’s affinity for melodic hip-hop can also be attributed to his near-nomadic upbringing. “I feel like because I moved back and forth so much … I was around a lot of different tastes, (so) I started growing an appreciation for when two genres are combined,” he mentioned.

One of the innovative genre twisters who won Hoosh’s appreciation is Drake.

“I got to see Drake from when he started to what he is now,” Hoosh reminisced. “His genre-bending is something I’ve always admired … (and) when I listen to certain shit on Take Care it takes me back to high school.”

While listening to hip-hop might make Hoosh happily wistful of the past, writing hip-hop allows him to explore the bitter side to nostalgia. On the EP’s closer, “The Kids,” Hoosh ruminates on the insecurity that comes with age.

“As you get older, you start getting in your head more and more, and you start missing out on certain shit ‘cause you might overthink it, or not do what you intended to do cause you start second guessing yourself,” he mused. “Like … Do I need to be doing more? Am I doing too little?”

To keep his sanity during intense introspection, Hoosh stressed the importance of maintaining relationships with those loved ones who know your truth:

“(Family) is always down to ride with you because they know who you are, deep down and past all that shit … When you have a tight circle, that’s something you have to be grateful for, and I’m super grateful.”

While Hoosh’s EP may be centered on a strong love for family (his father’s voice is even featured in a heartwarming interlude about staying safe from COVID-19), listeners don’t need to necessarily relate to having a tightknit family to enjoy every song.

“You’re free to your interpretation of however you want to take it,” Hoosh assured. “If you relate to it, that’s amazing, and if not, I appreciate you for listening to it.”

Luckily, Everything’s Going to be Alright carries enough general and autobiographical themes so that every listener is likely to learn something about both themselves and Hoosh, just as he did while writing it.

“I learned a lot more about myself, in the sense that I had to record myself a lot more, so I had to be my own kind of basic startup engineer,” Hoosh recalled about his time recording during the pandemic.

“I’ve also just come up with so many new songs and sounds that I just can’t wait for the world to hear.”

After listeners hear Everything’s Going to be Alright, it is likely the world will be wanting more. According to Hoosh, he is prepared to keep delivering this year.

“I feel like I got this new hunger in me of where I want to take (my music),” Hoosh said, “so just expect the best that I can bring.”

Everything’s Going to be Alright is now available for listening.

Contact Nurcan Sumbul at [email protected].