Here’s what you should know before adopting a puppy

Photo of puppy
Eric Chan/Creative Commons

Earlier this year, after a very interesting turn of events, my family and I were granted an addition to our family: a small Yorkie puppy we decided to name Koda. To be extremely honest, Koda very quickly became my dog (and college roommate). I love her so much, and I can’t imagine life without her. She is extremely cute, she loves to cuddle and she gets so excited about everyday things. Although taking care of a puppy provides a serotonin overload, there are also a lot of things that come in fine print. If you’re not careful, you might not realize what it’s actually like to own a puppy until it’s too late. So, here are a few things that no one tells you about getting a puppy.

Puppies wake up super early

This is one unfortunate fact that has become my reality these past few months. If you have a puppy, which will undoubtedly want to sleep near you or with you, they tend to wake up pretty early, and they love to make it everyone’s problem. During the wee hours of the morning, your puppy will scratch on doors, run around the house or even do their business in the middle of your room. Your safest bet is to wake up when they do and grumpily give them the attention they crave.

Puppies can bolt away at any moment

This statement applies to any situation. Puppies have no self-control, so when they feel energized, they will run all around your house. As my Dad likes to call it, this “anger run” is funny to watch and play along with. However, when you leave the front door open, you have to be careful. No matter how well you treat them, puppies will always trade you for a few extra moments outside. 

Puppies have major separation anxiety

Just like human babies, puppies become very easily attached to people. This attachment materializes itself in many ways, but in general, they will follow you everywhere you go. If you get a puppy, you will soon realize it will follow you everywhere, even to the bathroom. Goodbye, privacy!

Puppies will chew anything in sight

No matter how many chew toys you buy them or bones you give them, puppies have a knack for finding everything you are trying to hide and chew it up. Utilize drawers and bags to the best of your ability, if they don’t get to those first.

Puppies are a huge responsibility

Most people already know this, but it is important to reiterate: Puppies are a huge responsibility! If you’re unable to make the commitment, you should consider adopting a lower-maintenance pet, such as a cat or a fish. Puppies require a lot of attention and training, and that can take up a lot of time in your life. But at the end of the day, the joy you feel from caring for your happy ball of fluff makes it all worth it.

I hope this gave you some insight on what it’s like to take care of a puppy, and maybe, you will consider adopting a puppy now or in the future!

Contact Isabella Carreno at [email protected].